The Way of the Exploding Fist was released on the Commodore 64 in June 1985. It's one of the best fighting games of all time and all modern fighters owe a massive debt to this game.
How can you improve on one of the best 2 player fighting games of all time? Easy.... make it 4 player!!! As well as adding the extra players, The graphics have been updated for modern 16:9 TVs/monitors and allow the game to scroll. I've tried to make the game play and feel as close to the original as possible. Parallax scrolling, you can never have too much parallax!
- Press A Button to start.
- Each additional player presses their A Button to join.
- Up changes your fighters robe colour while waiting to play. Left and right changes your fighters direction so you can work out which one is you.
- Press Start when everyone has joined to start the fight.
- Esc twice in quick succession will quit the game.
The moves are exactly the same as the original
For more info about using controllers and keyboard see Controllers
The game is fully playable with the most iconic background but I'm working on new features:
- AI players. The game is currently multiplayer only. There are no CPU opponents. This is being added, with differing levels of difficulty.
- More backgrounds. All the other backgrounds will be updated and added. I'm liking the idea of each background corresponding to a different game mode....
- More game modes. Currently it's a first to 6 points battle with all fighters playing until the end. Other potential game modes:
- Last man standing. All fighters start with 6 points and are out when they lose them all.
- Team battles. Each player picks a team and your attacks only work on the other team.
- Single player against multiple bad guys. Bruce Lee style.
- Copy the ExplodingFist folder out of zip file. I create a Games directory in my home folder but anywhere will do.
- Run the ExplodingFist.exe from the ExplodingFist directory.
- Windows will usually pop up a "Windows protected your PC" window. This is because COGS is a brand new site.
- Select "More Info" and "Run anyway" to run the game. You won't need to confirm again.
Uncompress and untar the download:
gunzip ExplodingFist_Linux_x64.tar.gz tar -xvf ExplodingFist_Linux_x64.tar cd ExplodingFist ./ExplodingFist
gunzip ExplodingFist_Linux_arm64.tar.gz tar -xvf ExplodingFist_Linux_arm64.tar cd ExplodingFist ./ExplodingFist
I've tested COGS and Exploding Fist on a Pi4 and it works fine with no slowdowns. This was running Ubuntu Mate. COGS did not run well on the same Pi running Raspberry Pi OS. I'll try and work out why this is as this is the default OS for Pi. From what I can see, Ubuntu Mate is far superior to Raspbery Pi OS in every way on a Pi4. I'd suggest installing this if you want to play Exploding Fist.
So far, I've tested COGS on Ubuntu, Fedora, Ubuntu Mate and Pop OS. It works fine on these but there's a lot of Linux distros out there. Let me know if you're using a different distro and are having problems.
To uninstall, just delete the ExplodingFist directory.
If you have any problems installing or running the game, please let me know.